- 1 Events
- 2 Births
- 3 Deaths
- The North Carolina General Assembly incorporates the town of Manteo, which was originally laid out as the Dare county seat in 1870.
- January 1 - End of Spanish rule in Cuba.
- January 1 - Queens and Staten Island merge with New York City.
- January 6 - Lord Curzon becomes Viceroy of India.
- January 10 - Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity is founded at Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, Illinois.
- January 17 - United States takes possession of Wake Island.
- January 19 - Anglo-Egyptian Sudan is formed.
- January 21 - Opel Motors opens for business.
- January 22 - Leaders of six Australian colonies meet in Melbourne to discuss confederation.
- January 24 - Rubber heel patented by Humphrey O'Sullivan
- February 2 - The Australian Premiers' Conference held in Melbourne agrees Australia's capital (Canberra) should be located between Sydney and Melbourne.
- February 4 - Philippine-American War begins as hostilities break out in Manila.
- February 6 - Spanish-American War: A peace treaty between the United States and Spain is ratified by the United States Senate.
- February 14 - Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections.
- March 1 - in Afghanistan Capt. George Roos-Keppel makes a sudden attack on a predatory band of Chamkannis that have been raiding in the Kurram Valley and captures 100 prisoners with 3,000 head of cattle.
- March 2 - In Washington State, USA, Mount Rainier National Park is established.
- March 4 - Cyclone Mahina sweeps in north of Cooktown, Queensland, with a 12 m wave that reaches up to 5 km inland - over 300 dead.
- March 6 - Felix Hoffman patents Aspirin.
- March 6 - Bayer registers aspirin as a trademark.
- March 20 - At Sing Sing, Martha M. Place becomes the first woman executed in an electric chair.
- June 22–June 27 - the highest ever recorded cricket score, 628 not out, is made by A. E. J. Collins.
- June 25 - Three Denver, Colorado newspapers publish a story that the Chinese government under the Guangxu Emperor is going to demolish the Great Wall of China - later proved to be a fabrication.
- June 27 The paperclip was invented by English entrepreneur Roger Malcolm Taylor.
- July 17 - America's first juvenile court is established in Chicago.
- July 17 - NEC Corporation is organized as the first Japanese joint venture with foreign capital.
- July 19 - The Newsboys Strike takes place when the Newsies of New York, USA go on strike (strike lasts until August 2). more info
- July 29 - The First Peace Conference ends with the signing of the Hague Convention.
- October 11 - Second Boer War begins: In South Africa, a war between the United Kingdom and the Boers of the Transvaal and Orange Free State erupts.
- October 30 Augusta, KY Augusta High School Building is completed. Augusta Methodist College shuts down.
- November 16 - Lithuanian doctor, poet, and national hero Vincas Kudirka dies of tuberculosis at age 40.
- December 2 - Philippine-American War: The Battle of Tirad Pass, termed "The Filipino Thermopylae", is fought.
- December 16 Augusta, KY Augusta High School burns down due to a heating plant failure
- December 26 ? Battle of Mafeking begins.
- David Hilbert creates the modern concept of geometry with the publication of his book Grundlagen der geometrie.
- Gordon Douglas is ordained as a Buddhist monk in Myanmar. He is the first westerner to be ordained in the Theravada tradition.
- International Council of Nurses is founded.
- San Pellegrino is first bottled.
- The significance of oracle bones is discovered.
- January 7 - Francis Poulenc, French composer (d. 1963)
- January 11 - Eva LeGallienne, English actress (d. 1991)
- January 12 - Paul Hermann Müller, Swiss chemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1965)
- January 15 - Goodman Ace, American actor, comedian, and writer (d. 1982)
- January 17 - Al Capone, American gangster (d. 1947)
- January 17 - Nevil Shute, English author (d. 1960)
- January 30 - Max Theiler, South African virologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1972)
- February 3 - Doris Speed, English actress (d. 1994)
- February 3 - Lao She, Chinese author (d. 1966)
- February 6 - Ramon Novarro, Mexican actor (d. 1968)
- February 7 - Earl Whitehill, baseball player (d. 1954)
- February 15 - Georges Auric, French composer (d. 1983)
- February 22 - George O'Hara, American actor (d. 1966)
- February 22 - Dechko Uzunov, Bulgarian painter (d. 1986)
- February 23 - Erich Kästner, German writer (d. 1974)
- February 26 - Max Petitpierre, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1994)
- February 27 - Charles Best, Canadian medical scientist (d. 1978)
- March 11 - King Frederick IX of Denmark (d. 1972)
- March 13 - John Hasbrouck van Vleck, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1980)
- March 18 - Jean Goldkette, Greek-born musician (d. 1962)
- March 28 - Harold B. Lee, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (d. 1973)
- March 29 - Lavrenty Beria, Soviet official (d. 1953)
- April 1 - Gustavs Celmins, Latvian fascist leader (d. 1968)
- April 7 - Robert Casadesus, French pianist (d. 1972)
- April 22 - Vladimir Nabokov, Russian-born writer (d. 1977)
- April 23 - Bertil Ohlin, Swedish economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1979)
- April 24 - Oscar Zariski, Russian mathematician (d. 1986)
- April 27 - Walter Lantz, American cartoonist (d. 1994)
- April 29 - Duke Ellington, American jazz musician, bandleader (d. 1974)
- May 8 - Friedrich Hayek, Austrian economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1992)
- May 10 - Fred Astaire, American singer, dancer, and actor (d. 1987)
- May 10 - Dimitri Tiomkin, Ukrainian-born composer (d. 1979)
- May 12 - Indra Devi, Baltic-born yogi and actress (d. 2002)
- May 15 - Jean-Etienne Valluy, French general (d. 1970)
- May 24 - Suzanne Lenglen, French tennis player (d. 1938)
- June 1 - Edward Charles Titchmarsh, British mathematician (d. 1963)
- June 2 - Lotte Reiniger, German-born silhouette animator (d. 1981)
- June 3 - Georg von Békésy, Hungarian biophysicist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1972)
- June 12 - Fritz Albert Lipmann, American biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1986)
- June 13 - Carlos Chávez, Mexican composer (d. 1978)
- June 14 - Yasunari Kawabata, Japanese writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1972)
- June 30 - Harry Shields, American jazz clarinettist (d. 1971)
- July 5 - Marcel Achard, French play and scriptwriter (d. 1974)
- July 7 - George Cukor, American film director (d. 1983)
- July 10 - John Gilbert, American actor (d. 1936)
- July 11 - E. B. White, American writer (d. 1985)
- July 14 - Martha Mansfield, American actress (d. 1923)
- July 15 - Sean Lemass, Taoiseach of Ireland (d. 1971)
- July 17 - James Cagney, actor (d. 1986)
- July 21 - Hart Crane, American poet (d. 1932)
- July 21 - Ernest Hemingway, American writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1961)
- July 22 - King Sobhuza II of Swaziland (d. 1982)
- August 4 - Ezra Taft Benson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (d. 1994)
- August 13 - Alfred Hitchcock, British film director (d. 1980)
- August 24 - Jorge Luis Borges, Argentine writer (d. 1986)
- August 24 - Albert Claude, Belgian biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1983)
- September 3 - Frank Macfarlane Burnet, Australian biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1985)
- September 9 - Brassaï, French photographer (d. 1984)
- September 9 - Waite Hoyt, baseball player (d. 1984)
- September 13 - Corneliu Zelea Codreanu, Romanian fascist politician, leader of the Iron Guard (d. 1938)
- September 21 - Frederick Coutts, the 8th General of The Salvation Army (d. 1986)
- October 1 - Ernest Haycox, American writer (d. 1950)
- October 19 - Miguel Angel Asturias, Guatemalan writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1974)
- November 15 - Avdy Andresson, Estonian Minister of War in Exile (d. 1990)
- November 15 - Iskander Mirza, first President of Pakistan (d. 1969)
- November 17 - Douglas Shearer, film sound engineer (d. 1971)
- November 18 - Eugene Ormandy, Hungarian conductor (d. 1985)
- December 2 - John Barbirolli, English conductor (d. 1970)
- December 3 - Hayato Ikeda, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1965)
- December 9 - Jean de Brunhoff, French writer (d. 1937)
- December 15 - Harold Abrahams, British athlete (d. 1978)
- December 16 - Noel Coward, English actor, playwright, and composer (d. 1973)
- December 18 - Peter Wessel Zapffe, Norwegian author and philosopher (d. 1990)
- December 25 - Humphrey Bogart, American actor (d. 1957)
- December 28 - Eugeniusz Bodo, Polish actor (d. 1943)
- December 29 - Nie Rongzhen, Chinese Communist military leader (d. 1992)
- January 23 - Romualdo Pacheco, Governor of California (b. 1831)
- February 6 - Leo von Caprivi, Chancellor of Germany (b 1831
- February 16 - Félix Faure, President of France (b 1841)
- February 25 - Paul Julius Reuter, German-born news agency founder (b. 1816)
- March 6 - Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii, Last monarch of Hawaii. (b. 1875)
- June 3 - Johann Strauss, Jr., Austrian composer (b. 1825)
- June 10 - Ernest Chausson, French composer (b. 1855)
- July 21 - Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician (b. 1833)
- August 16 - Robert Wilhelm Bunsen, German chemist (b. 1811)
- September 12 - Cornelius Vanderbilt II, American railway magnate (b. 1843)
- November 21 - Garret A. Hobart, 24th Vice President of the United States (b.1844)
- November 24 - Abdallahi ibn Muhammad, Sudanese political and religious leader (killed in battle) (b. 1846)
- December 10 - King Ngwane V of Swaziland (b.1876)
- December 22 - Dwight L. Moody, American evangelist (b. 1837)
- William Henry Webb, American industrialist and philanthropist (b. 1816)
af:1899 ar:1899 ast:1899 az:1899 bg:1899 be:1899 bs:1899 br:1899 ca:1899 cv:1899 cs:1899 cy:1899 da:1899 de:1899 et:1899 el:1899 es:1899 eo:1899 eu:1899 fo:1899 fr:1899 fy:1899 ga:1899 gl:1899 ko:1899년 hr:1899 io:1899 id:1899 ia:1899 is:1899 it:1899 he:1899 ka:1899 csb:1899 la:1899 lt:1899 lb:1899 hu:1899 mk:1899 ms:1899 nap:1899 nl:1899 nds:1899 ja:1899年 no:1899 nn:1899 os:1899 pl:1899 pt:1899 ro:1899 ru:1899 sq:1899 scn:1899 simple:1899 sk:1899 sl:1899 sr:1899 fi:1899 sv:1899 tt:1899 th:พ.ศ. 2442 tr:1899 uk:1899 wa:1899 zh:1899年