Located in the Dhobitalao Junction district, south of downtown Bombay (now Mumbai). The Metro Cinema opened on 8th June 1938. It was built for Metro Goldwyn Mayer and was designed by noted American theatre architect Thomas W. Lamb, with assistance from local Bombay architect David William Ditchburn, a senior partner in the architectural firm Ditchburn, Mistry & Bhedwar.
Seating was provided for 1,491 in orchestra and balcony levels, amid Art Deco style splendour. For many years, the Metro Cinema was the premiere cinema of Bombay, and of course played mainly MGM films.
"The Metro Goldwyn Corporation acquired the land on which this cinema stands on a 999 year lease at the ground rent of Re 1 per year! The main architect was Thomas W. Lamb of New York, and D. W. Ditchburn of Bombay was the associate architect.
The Art Deco Metro initially exhibited movies made by MGM. The interior, floors, walls, ceilings as well as the furniture, was in shades of red and pink. The marble foyer and staircases led up to murals executed by students of the J. J. School of Arts, under the director Charles Gerard".
Film India issues, 1937 onwards